Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Nkhoma CCAP Hospital

 “I believe the Lord helps those who have set out to do great things for His sake

and He never fails those who trust in Him alone…”

St. Teresa of Avila

 

African Killer Bees

Killer Bees in the backyard!

One of the night guards put his flashlight on a giant beehive on one of the backyard trees.  How long had the hive been there?  I didn’t know.  They are quite dangerous.  Pet dogs have been killed by them.  This was a problem bigger than me. I put out the alert by calling members of our small mission community.  A chain reaction began with one person talking to another and soon the hive was gone.

 

 

Guardians

There are no such things as “visiting hours” in developing world hospitals.

A family member, or “guardian” is always required to be at the bedside in the hospital with their loved ones.  They are required to help with physical needs including food and water.  There is no food service. 

 

Guardian Sleep Area

 
Guardian on Cellphone

Medical Stuff:  Changes in my practice

How is it different?  Back home, I’m addicted to CT scans, daily CXRs, and daily lab tests.  Not in these places. There’s no CT scanner.  The patients are poor.  Plus, I’m hesitant to order extra tests that they can’t pay for.  I rely more on the basics: history and physical examination.  Treatment of cancer is often delayed because pathology results can take up to 6 weeks to get back. 

 

“What’s with that?”  I am put in my place.

When I was at Kijabe Hospital in Kenya, I had dinner at the home of Dr. Will Caire, his wife Allison and their 4 children.  The Caires are veteran missionaries with the Christian Health Service Corps.   

I complained to them.  Here I was, a US citizen working in Kenya, while there were many Kenyan physicians working back in the USA.  What’s with that?” I asked.  Dr. Caire stopped, took a breath, and reminded me: “That’s because you’re here for a different reason than they are over there.”  

 

Children's Table
 

I forgot.  Absolutely right!  We’re here for God, trying to do great things for His sake.  And thank God for all the support that is sent our way from people back home.  It couldn’t be done otherwise. 

Everyone has their own unique part to play.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing and documenting your experience around different mission hospitals on this blog site. We are heading to Nkhoma this weekend (sent by WMM). Appreciate your stories and pictures!

    ReplyDelete

BANGLADESH: LAMB HOSPITAL : A Hospital in the rice fields

  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then y...